Great News Festival Administrators have made the decision to keep the price structure the same for one more year.
Friday, April 29th, Saturday, April 30th, and Sunday,May 1, 2016
What is the Mountain Plover?
The Mountain Plover is a bird that begins arriving to Colorado's Eastern Plains in early April. Plovers find the short grass prairie and fallow fields in the area to be excellent nesting grounds.
What is the Karval Mountain Plover Festival?
The Karval Mountain Plover Festival began when Karval community members were looking at economic opportunities for this small community. We decided to "bring the bird lovers to the bird". This i s a weekend full of bird watching, Wildlife viewing tours, entertainment, history, arts and crafts, antiques, and LOTS OF GOOD FOOD! Along with bird watching, here are some of the other things you will enjoy:
- You'll get the chance to mingle with farmers and ranchers who choose to live in the local community and learn about their lifestyle.
- Eat home style food at every meal. Most meal are prepared by the community non-profit organizations.
- Saturday evening includes a Chuck Wagon dinner with authentic western entertainment.
- Learn about conservation practices and history of the area.
- Tour Private Land that would normally not be accessible.
- Make new friends!
Who should come to the Karval Mountain Plover Festival?
Plover lovers. Learn how landowners and biologists work together to study and preserve the nesting grounds of this elusive species.
Wildlife Enthusiast. Far away from the hustle and bustle of the city, attendees enjoy watching many species of prairie wildlife in their natural habitat.
History Lovers. Talk with third generation ranchers, the sons and daughters of homesteaders. Walk the spring hunting grounds of the Native Americans. Visit a prairie school house.
Nature Lovers. Vistas that go on for miles without a sign of man's footprint. Visit playas, tree groves, natural springs, man made lakes, and fallow fields.
- Two day tours and one night tour -- Check out 2013, 2012 and 2011 Bird Lists (You'll see bird and many other wild animals!)
- Tours on private land
- Country hospitality with all meals included.
- Photo Contest
Where to stay?
- Home stays with local families Stay with working farmers and ranchers.
- Electric hookups for motor homes are available.
- Primitive camping sites available.
- Closest motels are in Hugo and Limon, Colorado.
Local Areas of Interest
Enjoy 229 acres of hunting, stocked warm water fishing, camping, and wildlife viewing. Hunting opportunities include deer, rabbit, scaled quail, dove, and waterfowl. Restrooms and shade shelters available. To get to Karval Reservoir, head 10 miles south from the junction of State Highways 94 and 109. From downtown Karval, the reservoir entrance is only two miles east and one mile south.
Hunting, fishing, wildlife observation, camping, and photography can all be enjoyed at Kinney Lake. The area boasts 354 acres for hunting, small game, waterfowl, antelope, and deer. In warmer months the lake is stocked with trout. Campsites are also available. From Hugo, go 14 miles sout on 109 to County Road 2G. Then drives 2.5 miles east to County Road 2J and one more mile east to get to the area entrance.
Hugo State Wildlife Area
Hugo State Wildlife Area is Lincoln County's largest State Wildlife Area with 1,941 acres. Warm water fishing is stocked with trout in the spring. Deer, antelope, rabbit, dove and waterfowl hunting are popular. The area is also great for camping, hiking, and wildlife viewing. From Hugo, go 14 miles south on 109 and then 2.25 miles east on County Road 2G.
2016 Price Structure and Registration Information
Registrations will be accepted on a space available basis only!
- Full package:$200.00 registration fee includes all events and activities. Or, bring a friend and both attend for $350.00!! (Housing not included)
- Friday Evening Events only: $50 or 2 people for $80
- Saturday Events only:$150 or 2 people for $270
- Sunday--Breakfast for full package and Saturday registrants will be available at the Karval Community Building from 7am to 9am
- Printable Schedule
Get the latest updates and view photos of the Mountain Plover Festival on