Download the original attachment

Karval Community Alliance Meeting Minutes

Monday, October 26, 2009

Attending: Dan Merewether, Frances Maskus, Winifred Pepper, Betty Lee Bailey, Melvin and Aloha Wolfe, Steve Bailey, Carl and Cherry Stogsdill, Sheri Logan, Mags Carling, Russell Davis, Jeff Thornton

The meeting was called to order at 7:06 p.m. The previous meeting’s minutes were approved.

Treasurer’s Report

In October, we cashed in a $3000 CD to pay some bills associated with the Partners for Conservation event. Fish and Wildlife has gotten us $2000 as of today and $6500 will be coming within the next month. There are outstanding bills that need to be paid. Carl Stogsdill moved that we take $1500 out of our $5000 CD to pay these bills. Russell Davis seconded. The motion passed.  

Partners for Conservation Auction Money

About $700 was raised at the dinner by auctioning off pictures by local photographers. Jeff Thornton moved that the proceeds be equally split between the Karval science and voc-ag programs to buy needed lab supplies and tools. The motion passed.

Partners for Conservation Wrap-Up

Russell has received about 30 thank you notes for this event. Perceptions about rural communities, schools, and youth were truly impacted. This brought a new dimension to conservation and new vision to the attendees. Sample notes were distributed.

Dan pointed out the Blackfoot River poster from the Blackfoot Challenge and the Community Partnership /Award plaque that are now hanging in the Community Building. These were given to the Alliance and Karval Community for hosting the event and for their efforts with the RAW youth program.

The budget committee distributed grant money from Fish and Wildlife to compensate people for their time and financial donations in support this event.

Aloha stated that we should let the community know how much money we brought in through this event. Betty Lee pointed out that we need to designate someone to write articles for the paper when we have events.

The Alliance benefited from the event in material ways as well – a leather stamp, Alliance signs, RAW DVDs, information packets, and flyers for the upcoming Plover Festival. We have leftover coffee cups with lids and leather key chains that can be used during the Plover Festival. We also gained great advertising for the Plover Festival.

It worked well to have the performers located at the south end of the Community Building.

Community Assessment Plan Follow-Up

November 10 at 6:30 p.m. with a meal. Leftovers from the Partners for Conservation meal will be served along with potluck dishes provided by attendees. Encourage wide attendance. We need lots of input!

RAW Tour Challenge Cost Share Grant Proposal

Jeff moved that the Alliance administrate the monies for the Challenge Cost Share Proposal for the RAW Tour Program. Carl seconded. The motion passed.

Presentations for Plover Festival

We still need to do two more presentations in order to fulfill our grant obligations. Jeff is pursuing lining up a meeting with the Audubon Society. Money is available to reimburse travel.

Plover Festival Ideas (April 30 – May 2)

Maybe there could be a kids’ tour, family-oriented event, or a homestead birding tour. If we want to advertise in a magazine, we need to get that in my mid-December. Mountain View magazine has a 90-day lead. Jeff will try to determine which publications would be most appropriate for our region. Dan will talk to Vernon Stone about using Lincoln County tourism funds to advertise the festival. Think about family-oriented festival activities! Cherry is creating a Karval a coloring book.

Centennial Celebration in 2011

This needs to be coordinated with the other groups in town. Maybe the Alliance could host a community meeting on this topic. The post office was founded in 1911. Maybe we can find out the exact date. Maybe an adobe or sod house could be constructed.

Christmas Lighting Tour/Contest

This needs to be advertised – maybe through East Central Colorado RC&D (Rural Conservation and Development). Dan is checking on this. It was moved and seconded that this meal and tour take place on Saturday, December 12. The motion passed. Carl will talk with Mountain View Electric about prize money for the lighting contest.

501c3 - There is no news yet on our nonprofit status application.

Conservation Pictures

Russell will check into getting pictures of the event from those who attended. Frances would like some for the Alliance history.

Ports to Plains Alliance - Word is getting out about Karval!


We need a phone caller or phone tree to get out news about Alliance events. Dan will work on this. We will e-mail meeting minutes to everyone who is a current member.  

Next Meeting – November 10 at 6:30 p.m. – potluck

The meeting was adjourned at 8:37 p.m.

Additional information